THE TOOTHBRUSH: One of the most basic, efficient tools of modern society! But as technology continues to progress, patients ask which is best—a manual toothbrush or an electric one?
First of all, it’s important to note that most people can get an effective cleaning using either option. Nevertheless, the Cochrane study evaluating hundreds of electric toothbrushes (ETB) revealed that the ETB’s are more efficient at cleaning teeth, and thus, more effective for the vast majority of people who brush. However, we’ve listed a few features of each below:
Some Perks From The Classic:
A manual toothbrush has been doing a great job for years and will continue to do so.
- It’s simple, accessible, and cheap (not to mention travel-ready).
- Changing your brush now and then can be good.
- In some cases, it may be softer on enamel and gums (depending on the brush and your technique).
Advantages Of An Electric Toothbrush:
- For those with limited dexterity, (due to arthritis, stroke, limited shoulder and elbow movement) they better ensure great cleaning.
- Some have unique and interesting features that encourage effective brushing (such as gauging pressure, a timer showing time spent, etc.).
How Electric Toothbrushes Are Made And How They Work
Take a break from whatever you’re stressing about today and learn something fun. Use the info next time you’re at a party to impress your friends:
5 Things MORE Important Than The Type Of Brush:
More important than what kind of toothbrush you have is how you use it! Make sure you’re covering these five factors:
- Use soft bristles.
- Get a new brush (or brush head) every 4 months or so.
- Brush for two minutes a day.
- Don’t brush TOO hard; it can hurt your gums.
- Be thorough, and get all the corners.
If you have any questions, or you’re wondering what kind of toothbrush is best for you, please contact us. We consider ourselves pretty dialed-in on your dental hygiene, and we’d love to discuss how you can get the very best cleaning at home each day.
Thanks for reading, and for being a valued part of our practice family!